Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We're not in California anymore...

I am absolutely falling in love with this country! Japanese culture is so different than American culture and I have to say, it is very refreshing. Everything seems to be done differently here!

Just a handful of things I've taken notice of thus far:

  • The Japanese are honest, respectful, and trusting. For example: you can park your bike outside of the grocery store or leave your purse unattended at a restaurant while you use the restroom and it will not be stolen.
  • There are several shopping malls within a mile or so of my apartment complex and though there are many stores on each floor, there are no walls to separate them. This can make it difficult to know the boundaries of each store and if I was a thief, I would be in heaven because you could literally just pick up something and walk away and no one would ever notice.
  • It is against the law (or at least extremely looked down upon) to eat or drink on the bus, train, taxi, or even while you walk.
  • It can be nearly impossible to find a trash can that isn't for bottle or cans. So most of the time I just carry my trash around with me.
  • You don't tip anywhere! Even in taxis!
  • Japanese women are gorgeous. Their skin is smooth and flawless.
  • Car drive on the left side of the road like in the UK.
  • The weather changes daily. For example: yesterday it snowed and today it is sunny.
  • The Japanese are very conservative and private. In all bathrooms, the stalls reach all the way to the floor, and in some bathrooms, there are buttons you can press that make sounds so that other people can't hear your business.
  • There are also some toilets that are holes in the floor that you just squat over.
More to come are I learn more and more!


Everyone I have encountered thus far has been so kind and welcoming. Our supervisors, stage managers, casting team, etc. have showed us an overwhelming abundance of respect and they all know us by name which is both impressive and heart-warming! The last three days we have have stacks of paperwork and tons of information thrown at us, but the company is so thorough and repetitive, that by the end of the day, I feel that I have actually absorbed everything!

Yesterday we finally got to watch the show from the audience. It was FREEZING because our stage is a covered outdoor amphitheater, but the show was amazing! The costumes, effects, and sets are so much more impressive in person than they were on youtube! The cast was incredible and so much fun to watch. Naturally, the opening number and finale made me tear up. I'm just so thankful to be here among such talented and kind performers.
The old and new cast out for dinner together!

Oh! And I learned to fly last night! Again, it was freezing on stage, but so much fun!

We have today off! I'm going to check our Costco and Ikea with some cast member! Hopefully I'll find some good food and something to brighten up my apartment!

1 comment:

  1. Alissa my love,
    I'm taking a break from my homework and catching up on your life! I am teary eyed in reading what you write because I am just so happy for you and can feel you from your words. I know your transition may still be hard but know that you are so loved and feel confident in who you are!! I miss you already so much and am excited to see how God uses you in the next 14 months. Do your best and just be yourself!! Any country is lucky to have you!! I love you so much and am so glad we can still text. I am praying for you and your journey. I'm so blessed to have a friend like you and I am just SO proud of you!!!! I love you and so does Jesus so much!!! Muah!!

    ReplyDelete